This fun vertical planter is made with cedar fencing and terra cotta pots. It’s the perfect way to grow herbs or flowers in a small space or to add height to your porch decor. Free building plans.
- 5 cedar fence pickets, 3 1/2 inch
- 1 48″ piece wood lathe
- 3 metal hose clamps (5-7 inch size)
- 1 1×2 board 6 feet in length
- scrap piece of MDF
- scrap pieces of 2×4
- 3 terra cotta pots (8 inch size)
- spray paint
- Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers (available at Michaels in the art supply section)
- plastic sheeting
- hammer or pneumatic nail gun
- hand saw or miter saw
- staple gun
Cut four 10 inch pieces and two 7 inch pieces of 2×4. Build a support frame for the planter box out of these pieces, with the shorter ones in the center.
Cut a 10×10 square of 1/2 inch MDF. Nail the 2×4 frames to the MDF, like this:
Now comes the fun part…. decorating your terra cotta pots!
Spray paint them fun colors and let the paint dry overnight.
If you’ve got great handwriting, go right ahead and start with the Sharpies. If you’re like me and are nervous about messing up, draw your design on first with a pencil.