Make a patriotic flag luminary out of paper napkins and wooden craft sticks. It’s an easy Fourth of July craft idea!
The Fourth of July is coming right up, but it’s not too late to make this fun patriotic craft. Create your own flag luminaries to hang from your porch or patio or trees. They look pretty during the day and even better when they’re glowing at night! Are you ready to make your own little decorations for Independence Day? Let’s get started!
These are the materials you will need:
- Tissue paper or printed paper napkins
- Wooden Craft Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun + Glue Sticks
- LED Tea Light
- Twine, Ribbon or String
I was so excited when I found these fun napkins at Walmart. Hobby Lobby also had awesome flag and Americana napkins. I had originally planned to make the luminary with solid colored tissue paper, but the prints are so much cuter.
I’ve created a video tutorial to show you how this goes together, but here are the steps in case you miss anything… the video moves fast!
- Cut each napkin into four parts along the fold lines.
- Make five squares out of craft sticks.
- Glue the squares together to form a cube with one open side.
- Line each side of the cube with hot glue and press a napkin smoothly into place.
- Repeat for the remaining four sides.
- Trim excess paper from each edge. Go slow and cut nicely– these edges will show!
- Glue a twine string to each corner to act as a hanger, then tie the four strings together evenly in the center.
- Add a tea light, hang and enjoy!
I am so thrilled with this fun craft. Red, white and blue just make my heart happy!
I can’t wait to stay up late on the Fourth of July watching fireworks with these pretty luminaries glowing in the background.