Guess what I did last night? My mom brought over the advent calendar she made years ago (here’s a link to that post) and I traced all the pieces to make a pattern for all of you who have asked for it! Yay! Are you excited?! Here’s what the calendar looks like:
I love it. I love that it tells the story of Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem to be taxed. I love pulling out the little plastic baby Jesus on Christmas morning. I love the handmade charm. And now you can make one for your family too!
Materials Needed: (affiliate links)
- Pattern pieces (found below)
- One 19″x46″ piece of cream-colored felt for the background
- One long piece of camel-colored felt for the numbered path
- Scraps of felt in a variety of colors
- Fabric glue (or hot glue would work okay…it will just be stiffer)
- Iron-on, one-sided heavy fusible webbing
- Two pieces of velcro (the scratchy side only)
- One tiny plastic baby wrapped in a small scrap of fabric (I have seen them at Hobby Lobby before)
- One dowel spray painted gold
- Decorative ribbon for the top and bottom edges (optional)
- Twine or ribbon for hanging
1. Print out the pattern pieces so they fit on a normal piece of paper. Just right click on the images at the bottom of this post to save them to your computer.
2. Cut out all the small felt pieces using the photo above for a color guide. One of the palm trees needs to be flipped over so it leans the opposite direction. Look at the photo and that will make sense.
3. Freehand cut the numbered felt path. If you don’t have a long piece of felt, you could cut it from several smaller pieces and just glue them close together so that the seams aren’t noticeable.
4. Glue Mary, Joseph and the donkey together and line the back side with the fusible webbing. This is the piece that moves along the path each day, so the webbing helps it be stiffer and sturdier. Add a strip of Velcro to the back. Make sure it’s the scratchy side so it can grab the felt.
5. Cut out letters and numbers. Type up the words and numbers on the computer, print them out, then use them as pattern pieces.
6. Place all your pieces on to the background piece and get them the way you want. Then glue ’em all down.
7. Fold the top of the felt over to form a pocket for the dowel. Or use a long strip of extra felt or fabric. Carefully glue just the edge down. Make sure you don’t glue in too far or the dowel won’t slide through!
8. Glue ribbon to the top and bottom edges. (Or leave them plain. That works too!)
9. When all the glue is dry, slide the dowel through the pocket on the back and tie the twine onto the edges that stick out.
10. Add a piece of Velcro (the scratchy side) to the little baby.
And that’s it. You are done! This project comes together pretty quickly. Just watch your favorite show while you cut out all the felt and you’ll be done in no time!
Here are the pattern pieces:
OR you can click HERE to download the pattern pieces from Google Drive.