This chocolate mug cake is the best recipe out there! Now you can quickly indulge your chocolate craving with this single serve chocolate cake that’s cooked in the microwave.
I have finally found the very best chocolate mug cake recipe. It is loaded with chocolate flavor and has a great fudgy texture. And the best part is that you can make this decadent single-serve dessert in the microwave in one minute!
What is cake in a mug?
It’s the answer to your late night chocolate craving! Mug cakes are a single-serve dessert you cook in a coffee mug in the microwave. It’s like a chocolate lava cake you’d get at a fancy restaurant, but way less time-consuming.
My sweet tooth can get pretty fierce sometimes. Whiny children, long days and most remodeling projects are usually what bring it on. Sometimes I just want a treat and I want it NOW. Can you relate?
That’s where this amazing microwave chocolate mug cake comes in. A few years ago I tested a bunch of different mug cake recipes (read about that HERE).
Most of them were different levels of gross. The recipes that contained eggs were especially weird. The egg made the finished dessert rubbery. Cooking a dessert in the microwave seemed like an impossible dream.
Then I found this chocolate mug cake recipe and it is a true gem. It’s almost like cheating… you get a decadent ooey-gooey treat exploding with chocolatey goodness in less than a minute!
How do you make chocolate cake in a cup?
It’s so simple. Grab a coffee mug and a few basic baking ingredients, stir them up, then microwave the ingredients in the mug and in a minute or less, you’ll have an amazing dessert for one.
How do you make a chocolate Nutella mug cake?
That’s what’s so great about this recipe. There are endless variations! To make a Nutella mug cake, use the exact same recipe above, but stir in 1 teaspoon of Nutella before cooking in the microwave. So easy!
Want to know some of my other favorite chocolate mug cake variations? They are just as easy to make, but it’s fun to come up with different flavor combinations. To make these mug cake variations, simply stir up the batter, add the extra ingredients, then cook like normal!
Mug Cake Variations
- Peanut Butter Lover. Get the recipe here!
- Chocolate Covered Berry. Add 1 teaspoon raspberry or strawberry jam.
- Gimme S’More. Add 10 mini marshmallows and a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs.
- A La Mode. One scoop of ice cream on top after it’s done cooking and you’ve got yourself a rockin’ dessert!
- Caramel Lover. Add two square caramel candies.
- Mint To Be. Sprinkle with mint baking chips or crushed up candy canes.
- Chocoholic. Add a handful of chocolate chips or pieces of a chopped up candy bar.
Can you tell that I’ve made this dessert a lot? Just you wait… once you’ve tried it, you’ll fall in love! Don’t believe me? Read the recipe reviews in the comments. Readers agree that this mug cake is amazing!
If you’d like a vanilla mug cake, this is the very best vanilla mug cake recipe!
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe Video
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Melt the butter in a coffee mug. Add water, vanilla and salt and stir until smooth. Add sugar, cocoa powder and flour and stir until all the lumps are out. Cook in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. If you want less “lava” and more cake you can cook it for 10 seconds more. You may have to adjust the cooking time since all microwaves cook at different speeds.
Looking for more amazing chocolate dessert recipes?
Try my Perfect Double Chocolate Cookies! They are the best chocolate cookie I have ever had! Or make a pan of my favorite Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies and share the chocolate goodness with the whole family. Or check out this mega list of the very best chocolate desserts.
Let’s Get Social!
I’m sharing tons of bonus content on my social channels and I’d love for you to join me there.