The deck was in such bad shape that we never wanted to hang out back there. Our big, beautiful backyard was one of the main reasons we purchased our home, so we knew putting time and effort into remodeling the deck was important to us.
Thank you to my friends at Rustolem for sponsoring this post. I was talking to them at a blogging conference and they told me about these products and I knew they were the perfect fit for our old, sad deck.
If you are in a similar situation, let me walk you through the process of restoring an old deck.
- Power Washer (we rented ours from Home Depot)
- Deck and Patio Cleaner
- Zinsser Bulls Eye Spray Primer
- Deck Start Wood Primer
- 20X Deck Resurfacer Roller Cover
- RockSolid 20X Deck Resurfacer
Step 1: Repair any rotted or broken wood. We had to completely replace our stairs because the stringers were broken.
Step 5: Coat the deck with Deck Start Wood Primer. This product works with any solid top coat and simplifies prep work because you don’t have to strip off the old stain. This is a crucial step to promoting top coat adhesion, so don’t skip it! Also, just a funny little side note. This stuff reminded me so much of school glue. It goes on white and dries clear and it even kind of smells like school glue!
- The product must be stirred before application using a drill paddle attachment.
- Because it is so thick, the 20X requires the use of a special roller cover designed to spread just the right amount of paint onto the deck.
- Use a paintbrush to cut in edges and paint between boards first, then go over everything with the roller.
- The color between different containers can vary slightly, so if you need more than one bucket, mix them together before application to avoid problems with color variation.
- You MUST be on “drip patrol” for about 20 minutes after applying the product. Because it’s so thick, it can leave huge drips, especially along edges. Walk around with a paint brush and wipe away any drips and keep checking for more drips as the paint dries!
- 20X cleans up with soap and water, which makes life so much easier!