We found out a few weeks ago that we will be having a baby boy. The first thing I did was run to the fabric store and buy fabric for a plaid quilt! I’ll post the general instructions for making this quilt. If you want more specifics, leave me a comment and I’d be happy to answer any questions.
* 1/4 yard of five different plaid fabrics. I used homespun and shirting material found on sale at Joanns. The total price was around $6.
* Batting. I happened to have some leftover strips from making a queen sized quilt, so I basted them together and didn’t have to pay anything for the batting! Yay!
* 1 1/2 – 2 yards backing fabric. I used a piece of blue flannel I found in my fabric stash that I purchased last year for $1 per yard. Score!
* Cut six 7 1/4 inch squares from each fabric.
* Arrange them however you would like (I did mine completely random…which is harder than it sounds).
* Sew all squares together to make the quilt top.
* Machine stitch the quilt top, batting, and backing fabric together. I stitched in the ditch down the rows for an easy way to keep the quilt together.
* Sew all leftover scraps together in a long strip. Trim down to 2 inches wide by long enough to go around the quilt. Use this as the binding fabric.
So that’s how I made this quilt in a nutshell. Like I said, if you want more details, leave me a comment!