Paint and pour is a trending new painting technique. Learn how to do pour painting with these two unique craft ideas!
What is paint pouring?
- Acrylic Craft Paint
- Liquitex Pouring Medium
- Small Paper Cups
- Stir Sticks
- Rubber Gloves
What is pouring medium?
Now that I’ve had some experience with paint pouring, I definitely have some “live and learn” advice to share with you.
Paint Pouring Tips for Beginners
- Wear rubber gloves while painting. The pouring medium may agitate sensitive skin.
- Mix, mix, mix! I had a few paint blobs that didn’t get mixed well into the pouring medium and they looked kind of chunky on the finished surface.
- You’ll probably need more paint than you think you will. One 8 ounce bottle of pouring medium was barely enough for me to do these two projects.
- Let gravity do the designing as much as possible. The more you interfere, the more muddled the final project will be. Do like Elsa and just let it go.
- If it’s your first time paint pouring, I suggest pouring onto a flat surface like a canvas or sign.
- Start with fewer colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. I like how my letter turned out, but I may have gone a little color happy. If I had just done pinks, oranges and yellows I think it would have turned out better. This is personal opinion of course, so do what you want!
- Use a giant piece of cardboard as your work surface. The drips can get out of control and I’m glad I could just chuck the cardboard afterwards.
- Prop the item you’re painting up off the cardboard so the paint can freely drip off the sides. I used painters triangles and they worked perfectly.
- Clean pouring (pouring colors straight from individual cups) would have worked better on the 3D surface. I would have had more variation in color.
- Dirty pouring (layering the colors into one cup) would have worked better for the flat surface.
- Let the project dry for a full 24 hours before touching it or you may mess up the design.
So after reading through this article, do you think you can do it? What surface are you wanting to pour? Do you want to try clean or dirty pouring? Leave me a comment or send me a DM on social media and let me know if you give pour painting a try! And don’t forget to print out a coupon before you head to Hobby Lobby!