Cheese rolls are made from soft homemade roll dough and stuffed with ooey gooey cheese and savory spices. They are the perfect side to serve with dinner!
If you’re looking for the perfect roll to go with a hot bowl of homemade soup, look no further. These savory cheese rolls are the savory, cheesy cousin of a freshly baked cinnamon roll. My sister told me they make something like these cheese rolls at her high school, so I thought I’d give it a whirl and I’ll tell you, they are really yummy.
The dough is pillowy soft and the cheese gets all crusty and bubbly and delicious. And it’s easy to change out the fillings to create different versions of this delicious homemade treat.
Start by mixing up the pillowy soft bread dough and letting it raise. Then roll the dough into a rectangle, just like you would do if you were making cinnamon rolls.
Top the rectangle with softened butter, spices and shredded cheese, roll it up tightly, and slice it.
I use a serrated bread knife and it works well, no need for fancy floss or anything like that.
Let the slices rise for another 20 minutes or so, then they’re ready to be baked!
I’ve made these cheese rolls many different ways. It’s so fun to switch up the flavor profile! Here are a few of our favorite combinations:
- Cheddar cheese, garlic salt and diced jalapeno pieces
- Mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder (and marinara for dipping)
- Colby Jack cheese, dry Ranch dressing powder, crumbled bacon
- Mexican cheese blend, cumin, chili powder and onion powder
It’s also delicious to add diced ham, diced pepperoni or crumbled bacon.
Cheese Rolls Recipe Video
Homemade Cheese Rolls Recipe
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups flour approximately
- 2-4 cups shredded cheese any variety
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Add all dough ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until the dough forms a ball, approximately 5 minutes.
- Cover bowl with a clean dish towel and let raise in a warm place until double in size, about an hour.
- Roll dough into a big rectangle. Spread softened (not melted) butter over all the dough. Sprinkle with cheese and seasonings.
- Starting at the long end of the rectangle, roll the dough tightly just like when you make cinnamon rolls. Cut into slices, place on a baking sheet and raise for 20 minutes or so.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown and bubbly, about 18-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Let’s Get Social!
I’m sharing tons of bonus content on my social channels and I’d love for you to join me there.