These chocolate cookies are thick, soft and loaded with double chocolate flavor. This is the best double chocolate chip cookie recipe ever!
For several years now I have been looking for the perfect chocolate cookies. I have made many different recipes and none of them were quite what I was looking for. The biggest requirement for the perfect double chocolate chip cookie was a thick, chewy, soft drop cookie and it seemed like every recipe I attempted ended with flat, crispy disappointment. I actually gave up the search for a while. Last night, in a moment of chocolate-craving weakness, I decided to give it one more try.
These cookies really are what I have been dreaming of. They stayed thick and soft and are so decadent that a glass of milk is practically required to eat one.
So do I have you drooling yet? Do you want the recipe?
How do you make a chocolate cookie?
First I have to share with you the key to my success… before baking up the whole batch of cookies, I baked one test cookie. I am glad I did because I burned the bottom of my first test cookie! So I adjusted the cooking time and temperature and tried one more cookie, which turned out perfect. Then I was confident in filling up the pan and baking up the rest of the dough. By baking one test cookie, you will be able to adjust baking temperature and time to what will work best for you, your altitude and your oven.
These cookies were delicious right out of the oven when the chocolate chips were still ooey-gooey. They were also delicious when I had one for breakfast this morning. Hee hee! I like to put them in the microwave for 10 seconds just to warm up the chocolate again. You’ll definitely want a big glass of cold milk to go with them.
Best Ever Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into cubes
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups chocolate chips I used jumbo Guittard milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine butter and sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Blend in eggs one at a time. Add cocoa powder. By hand, add flour, salt and baking powder until just incorporated. Do not overwork the dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide dough into 12-15 pieces and roll into balls. Flatten slightly and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or the cookies will dry out. I would pull them out the minute the tops are no longer gooey looking.
Let’s Get Social!
I’m sharing tons of bonus content on my social channels and I’d love for you to join me there.